A man who was trapped in the DusitD2 hotel in Kenya when at least 5
terrorists attacked on Tuesday, January 15, has said that he recognized one of the attackers as his client.
Reuben Kimani, a barista who was rescued after several hours trapped inside the Dusit D2 hotel, told newsmen:
“I knew one of them because he had a big scar on one of his hands. I saw them. They shot six of my friends, four didn’t die but two succumbed”.
John Maingi said there had been “a flash of lights and a loud bang” at the Secret Garden restaurant where he works.
He said: “When I peeped outside I saw a human leg which has been cut off. We hid in the room and then some police officers rescued us.”
One survivor rescued from the building said the attackers were “very confident; they were people who knew what they were doing”.
At least one suicide bomber blew himself up during the attack on Tuesday afternoon and 4 gunmen opened fire on hotel patrons and staff.
They also engaged security forces in numerous shootouts during the assault on the DusitD2 compound, which includes a 101-room hotel, spa, restaurant and office buildings.
Al-Qaeda-linked Somali group Al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the attack. The terrorist group has repeatedly targeted Kenya since it sent its army into Somalia in October 2011 to fight the jihadist group.
However, Kenya Leader, President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday that the terrorists who stormed the upmarket hotel complex, killing 14 people, had been “eliminated” after an almost 20-hour siege in which hundreds of civilians were rescued.