Middle-aged Man Cut Off Woman Hand Openly While Trying To Save Her Son

Tragedy struck in Omu-Aran, Kwara State, on
Saturday when a bricklayer, simply identified as Lukman, allegedly attacked and cut off the hand of a 60-year-old woman, Muibat Abifarin, with a cutlass.

Middle-aged Man Cut Off Woman Hand Openly While Trying To Save Her Son
Abifarin, who had her left hand severed, was said to have
been rushed to Ajisafe Hospital in the community, while the other two victims with varying degrees of injuries were also being treated at Omu-Aran General Hospital.

The middle-aged attacker, who was said to be showing traits of insanity, also attacked two of his co-tenants in a bungalow at Orolodo Area, beside the Olomu’s palace in Omu-Aran.

A NAN correspondent who was at the private hospital on Sunday, reports that no visitor was allowed access to Abifarin by the hospital management, as she was said to be recovering from the surgery performed on her hand.

A nurse in the hospital, who preferred anonymity, told NAN that visitors could only be allowed around 6 p.m. when she might have fully recovered from the effect of the surgery.

She, however, described the ageing woman’s condition as stable and that she was responding to treatment.

An eyewitness account by Azeez Abifarin, a student and son of the victim, said the incident happened around 10 p.m on Saturday as the family was about going to bed.

“I think there was a kind of argument between Abeeb, my senior brother and Lukman over a dead goat being roasted by Lukman outside the compound, which later degenerated into a fight and Abeeb was attacked with a cutlass.

“It was the gory sight of Abeeb’s condition that prompted my mother, who was about going to bed, to rush out and confront Lukman over the motive of the attack on Abeeb.

“It was in the process that Lukman again raised the cutlass against my mother’s head and she quickly defended herself with her left hand before the hand was cut off,” he said.

Lukman’s father, who refused to give his name, told NAN at the private hospital where Abifarin was receiving treatment that he was informed of the incident on phone immediately after his morning prayer.

“I was shocked when I saw the extent of the attack on the victims. I was informed on phone and I rushed to the scene of the incident.

“He (Lukman) was with me in my house a day before the incident and did not show any sign of somebody harbouring any evil plans,” the man said.
It was gathered that Lukman was promptly arrested and detained at the Omu-Aran Police Command.

The Divisional Police Officer was not available when the correspondent visited the station, while calls to his telephone line did not go through.

An officer in the Command who preferred anonymity, however, confirmed Lukman’s arrest, adding that investigation into the case had commenced.


Subscribe Via Email (Do Not Edit Here!)

Get Aynaijang News In Your Inbox